Open Source Bridge/Technology/Website Updates for Opening Proposals
There are some updates that require the new event to be created in OpenConferenceWare. Once that is created, though, we are open for proposals, so we don't want to create it until we're ready. There is no "don't open proposals yet" flag in OCW (yet).
Files to update in their repos and push to the server
- Wordpress title bar: Update the dates in header.php in https://github.com/osbridge/osbp_wordpress.
- Dates at top right under "The conference for open source citizens" in OpenConferenceWare: Update app/views/layouts/open_conference_ware/_header.html.erb in https://github.com/osbridge/open-source-bridge-proposals. Redeploy.
- Dates at top right under "The conference for open source citizens" in Wordpress: Update the shared fragment files on Arroway at /var/www/osbridge-ocw/shared/public/system/shared_fragments/header_*. This will be changing, see github issues: Solve "shared fragment" issue
- Lanyrd link in left sidebar: Update Wordpress: Appearance > Widgets > Frontpage sidebar
- Sponsors on homepage: Update Wordpress: Appearance > Widgets > Sponsors sidebar
- Eventbrite should already be set up. See Open_Source_Bridge/General_Notes/Eventbrite_setup
- Make sure the osbugluv and osbhtml discount codes are created
- Create badges for the new year in https://github.com/osbridge/osbp_assets
- Upload badges to Arroway: /var/www/badges/$NEW_YEAR/
- Edit WordPress page for http://opensourcebridge.org/get-involved/promote/. IMPORTANT: DO NOT use the default WordPress "Visual" editor because it destroys formatting and escaping, please use the "HTML" editor instead. The easiest way to update the HTML is to copy the markup into a text editor, and use its search-and-replace to update the (1) year, (2) month/day, and anything else. Create a local HTML file using the badge's HTML and confirm that it's okay.
- Update http://opensourcebridge.org/sponsors/sponsor-resources/ using a similar approach to the above.
- Update OpenConferenceWare by editing app/views/open_conference_ware/proposals/create.html.erb in https://github.com/osbridge/open-source-bridge-proposals. Redeploy.
[adapted from Igal's very careful instructions to me, March 24, 2012, after I asked him about it and he said "It involves uploading files in funny places, editing the html in a quirky way, and updating OCW. Its one of those tasks that takes longer to explain than do." and I said no really, explain it to me anyway. :p -Kirsten]
- Update dates
- Is the contact person for press inquiries current?
- Update dates (multiple places)
- Confirm Trimet ticket prices
- Update conference dates, proposal deadline, notification date, townhall date, etc
- Need to test links to submission page after that's in place
- This page has track descriptions & examples, and probably could be refreshed
- Update dates
- Includes letter to user groups, which should be revised with this year's high points.
- Is the osbugluv discount still a $215 ticket? Does it exist in Eventbrite?
- See above about badges
- See above about badges
- When we have the new prospectus, we should add a link here, and also contact information
- update prospectus link
- Create this page in Wordpress: http://opensourcebridge.org/y$NEW_YEAR (note the y before the year). Copy the content from a previous year.
- Create this page in Wordpress: http://opensourcebridge.org/sponsors/y$NEW_YEAR (note the y before the year).
- Update the ^/sponsors/?$ redirection to /sponsors/y$NEW_YEAR/ in Wordpress's redirection tool
- The main content of this page has several year-specific links. Edit the content of the page "FrontPage" in WordPress to update it. (Search for $OLD_YEAR in the HTML source of the page to find the links -- several will be to pages listed above, probably!)
- This is also where the "Register Now" call to action goes, and it is typically updated several times leading up to the conference, to call out the current rate and when it expires. You can find previous examples in the history for FrontPage. It should be formatted something like this:
<div id="frontpage_register_callout"> <h3>Registration is open!</h3> <a href="http://osbridge.eventbrite.com/" class="button">Register Now</a> </div>
- Create http://opensourcebridge.org/wiki/$NEW_YEAR/Main_Page
- Link to it from http://opensourcebridge.org/wiki/Main_Page
- There are probably other places in the wiki that need to be re-verified for the new year.
Update after the new event is created in OCW
- Needs updated links to http://opensourcebridge.org/events/$NEW_YEAR/*
- Add Tracks
- Add Session Types
- Set dates for Event
- set proposal deadline to the past if not opening just quite yet.
- Create BoF (Birds of a Feather) Event
- Add BoF Track
- Add BoF Session Type
- Set the current event for OCW: Update config.current_event_slug in config/initializers/01_open_conference_ware.rb in https://github.com/osbridge/open-source-bridge-proposals. Redeploy.
- Update top menu for Wordpress & MediaWiki: Copy the html for the menu from an OCW page, and update the shared fragment files on Arroway at /var/www/osbridge-ocw/shared/public/system/shared_fragments/header_*. This will be changing, see github issues: Solve "shared fragment" issue
Opening the CFP
In OpenConferenceWare (go to "Proposals" for the current year to get there quickly -- if that doesn't exist, some of the previous steps aren't done yet!), click "Manage this event" under Administration in the left nav. Update:
* Proposal deadline * Accept selector votes? (YES) * Accept proposal votes after deadline? (Yes -- why not?) * Open Text * Closed Text * Session Text (question -- does this appear before the conference?)
When you hit "Save," proposals will be *open*!
- write a blog post like http://opensourcebridge.org/blog/2014/03/submit-your-2014-proposals-today/
- put a CfP extension draft into WordPress in case you'll need it
- targeted: do speaker outreach
- Contact specific classes/teachers about the conference and CFP, plus volunteer opportunities
- Bart Massey
- ask the sponsorship liaison to tell the sponsors
- general: to lists and aggregators
- the osbridge lists
- other Stumptown-related group lists
- Seattle Ruby
- Portland Ruby Brigade: http://pdxruby.org/
- Technically Speaking
- talk-mentorship at python.org for Speak Up!
- past attendees of the PDX tech workshop -- ask pdxtechworkshops at stumptownsyndicate.org to fwd
- scour http://epdx.org/ if you have time
- calendar submissions
- tweet the CfP link and deadline
- schedule repetitions several times between the announcement and the deadline - create spreadsheet of all scheduled CfP reminder tweets in one batch and HootSuite them in one go
- Articulate Network
- Have Stumptown Syndicate retweet it
- to https://twitter.com/ansate for http://allowedtoapply.tumblr.com/
- post to https://pdxstartups.switchboardhq.com/
- usergroup outreach -- discount codes for registration as well as CfP promotion
- http://etherpad.opensourcebridge.org/2013-user-group-outreach - draft of email